Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign

Freedom Of Information Requests


If you were a striking miner arrested during the 1984/5 miners’ strike you may be able to contact the police force who arrested you to find out more information about your arrest. This may require you to make a FREEDOM OF INFORMATION request (commonly known as an FOI). You might not need to make a FOI request to get the information you want but this is often the route used to get more information. You may also want to get legal advice.

• The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) can give you the right to request recorded information held by the police.
• Anyone can request information – there are no restrictions on your age, nationality or where you live.
• Your request will be handled under different regulations depending on the kind of information you ask for.
• There may be a cost involved.

More information here:

If you make an FOI request and the police make it difficult for you to get the information you are requesting you may want to insist they give you reasons in writing. You may want to get legal help with this or possibly contact your local Member of Parliament for help.

Please use this link to find out about contacting police forces:

Please use this link to find your Member of Parliament: